Arrangements for Children
Coming to an agreement regarding the arrangements for children can be one of the most difficult and stressful decisions arising out of a separation.
The breakdown of a relationship will always have an impact on your child or children. It is therefore important that future parenting arrangements are made considering what is going to be in the best interests of children. At the Family Court, the best interests of children is the paramount consideration.
Disputes relating to the arrangements for children can relate to a number of different issues, including the following:
- Parental responsibility;
- Who the children will live with;
- Whether the children should spend “equal time” with the parents, or otherwise what arrangements would be in their best interests;
- Family violence;
- Cases involving alleged risk to a child’s welfare, including where there are allegations of family violence, neglect, child abuse and mental health issues;
- Relocation by a parent;
- Long-term decisions concerning children, including their schooling, name, health and religion;
- Rights of grandparents and other significant people in a child’s life;
- Child Support;
- Surrogacy; and
- International child abduction.
If it is possible, it is preferable to reach an agreement for the arrangements for children, rather than commencing proceedings. Our experienced Perth Family Lawyers can assist you to make proper arrangements for your children.